Senior Exploration Geologist (OT)
Senior Exploration Geologist (1)
Oyu Tolgoi’s workforce today is more than 93 per cent Mongolian, and major strategic focus for the company is to develop a skilled workforce that is continuously learning. We aim to attract the best talent, so that we can together deliver a safe and globally competitive copper business that contributes to the prosperity of Mongolia.
We are looking for one ( 1) Senior Exploration Geologist in Oyu Tolgoi LLC – Technical and Studies- Strategic Mine & Resources Planning department based at Oyu Tolgoi mine site with roster of 2 weeks on and 1 week off.
The purpose of this role is to coordinate and provide services and support to geological activities of the functional area in large complex environment in line with the company policies and procedures to achieve the team's objectives and targeted plan. The role is to design, plan, execute and document exploration activities on OT and JV (Entree) leases and also to lead and manage geologists and technicians to carry out exploration works.
What the role entails
- This role plays an important role in planning and executing exploration activities including exploration planning, managing exploration activities and people carrying out the work. It also documents exploration activities for reporting to the GoM.
- Supervises and maintains collection of quality samples and geological mapping, and collation of these data into appropriate geological information management systems.
- Plans and supervises execution of exploration drilling programs. Contributes to and reviews long term drills strategy.
- Supervises and maintains collection, compilation and reports of quality control and quality assurance sample data.
- Provides supervision for nominated geology staff and also manages contractors and service providers in accordance with company standards.
- Day-to-day coordination of exploration geology functions including:
- Training and mentoring of junior geological personnel
- Geological mapping and sampling.
- Ensures adherence to best practice QAQC processes.
- Assists in the identification of high risk areas and development of processes to mitigate such risks
- Provides first line supervision and direction to core logging geologists and technicians to deliver quality logging results on time as per schedule. Deliverables include but not limited by: geological and geotechnical logging, handling of drillcore, first line of interpretation of geology from the drillhole logging results and QAQC of the logging process.
- Provides first line supervision for nominated contractors and service providers, and monitors their contract deliverables in accordance with company standards.
- Participates in contractor management through assisting in the supervision of drill crews using standard work practices. Report any deviations and recommend changes accordingly
- Builds knowledge of systems that ensures that exploration geology data and documents are properly managed throughout the custodianship and that the most updated and complete version is stored in an accessible and secure infrastructure.
What you will need for this role
- Bachelor degree in Geology or Geological Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant mining experience
- Experience with geological software packages
- Intermediate or above Mongolian and English language skills (both verbal and written)
- Valid Mongolian driver license
All interested candidates should submit the following documents before:
Please click HERE to go to Oyu Tolgoi LLC Online Application System
Please make sure to attach the following documents:
- CV (in English and Mongolian)
- Cover Letter (in English and Mongolian)
If you have any enquiries, please contact the following addresses:
Monnis Tower, 1st Floor
Chinggis Avenue 15, Sukhbaatar District
Ulaanbaatar - 14240, Mongolia
Tel: + (976) - 7010-3604
All potential candidates must be medically cleared.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and asked to submit additional documents
For successful candidates, please be advised that information submitted and collected during the recruitment process may be used or required by other HR functions such as Training and HR Services.
Employees of the Oyu Tolgoi LLC and subcontract companies currently working at Oyu Tolgoi mine must notify their employer of their application prior to progressing to the interview stage.
Oyu Tolgoi LLC ensures fair and transparent recruitment practices where all applicants are provided with equal opportunities and the decision on recruitment is made by committee members without any involvement of mediating individuals.