Specialist Blasting (Rio TInto)
- Join a family who cares about yours
- Diverse & challenging projects with our underground operations team
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
About the role
We are looking for a Blasting Specialist. This is a key role of the owners team with the responsibility to train, mentor and develop national mining engineers and operators. Ensuring adherence to drill and blast best practice and to provide hands on drill and blast engineering support to the Mine Production Team by improving safety and maximizing the value of the project.
Working 4 weeks on/ 2 weeks off FIFO roster and will be an on-shift basis. Current roster arrangements may differ due to COVID-19. Reporting to the Superintendent Production Engineering, you will:
- Ensure undercutting and drawbelling activities are performed safely and in accordance with regulatory, schedule, quality and cost requirements through engagement with multiple work groups.
- Develop and communicate drill and blast best practices, ensuring adherence in the underground work environment.
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentoring of underground mining engineers and operators to develop the capability of the production team.
- Lead and/or actively contribute to underground mining improvement and innovation initiatives.
- Conduct drill and blast optimization for both the development and production phases of the mine.
- Work closely with contract partners as part of an integrated team
- Actively collaborate with site-based project and operational personnel along with off-shore technical teams to establish operational systems to support production activities.
What you will bring
- Relevant operational experience (undercutting and draw belling activities) in large caving operations and exposure to electronic initiation systems.
- A degree qualification in mining engineering (or relevant discipline), alternatively a strong technical knowledge of caving drill and blast design.
- In-depth understanding of drill and blast engineering and a track record of generating practical and innovative solutions to multi-faceted technical challenges.
- An understanding of underground caving, caving mechanics, transitioning to cave readiness, mine operating practices and the impact of drill and blast mining operations on value chain outcomes.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in underground drill and blast, either technical or operational roles.
- Demonstrated relationships and successful stakeholder engagement capabilities, as well as the ability to lead technical and/or operational teams to execute challenging projects autonomously.
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Demonstrated previous success in the mentoring and development of colleagues in a cross-cultural work setting
What we offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- International relocation and visa assistance
- Competitive package including annual incentive and living allowance
- Career development to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Leave for all of lifes reasons (vacation/ annual, paid parental, sick leave)
Joining the Rio Tinto Oyu Tolgoi Underground Project team is a great opportunity to be part of one of the most exciting developments in copper and gold mining for several decades. The mine contains reserves and resources that make it one of the worlds largest copper-gold deposits.
This mega project is expected to be a major contributor to Mongolias development. As part of the Rio Tinto Oyu Tolgoi Underground Project team, you have the ability to contribute to something significant and learn and develop both personally and professionally. We offer a collaborative, high performing environment where success is achieved by working together.
Discover more about Mongolia and Oyu Tolgoi
Mongolia is increasingly becoming a destination for tourism and expatriate residents. As a rapidly developing city, Mongolia's capital Ulaanbaatar is seen as a comfortable, yet exciting place to live. With an array of cultural and social activities available and a growing network of international schools, housing options, and leisure facilities, its home to a growing community of international expatriates.
Located in the South Gobi Desert, just 80 kilometres from the Chinese border, the Oyu Tolgoi open pit mine and camp is a large, well-run and comfortable site with multiple amenities including recreational and sports facilities, a cinema, shops, restaurants and bars catered to a growing community. For more information about OT site, please check out this video.
Where youll be working
Oyu Tolgoi is an operating Copper / Gold open pit mine with a brownfields underground mining project. The site is located in the Gobi Desert region of Mongolia. The reserves case for the underground project is in the order of 0.5 billion tonnes of ore to be mined from the 95,000 tonnes per day Hugo North Lift 1 (HNL1) panel cave mine with a 20-year operations life. There is also the potential for 3 further block cave districts to increase mine life beyond 100 years.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.